Some important dates for your 2014 taxes:
- January 20, 2015: First day to e-file taxes. IRS begins to process tax returns e-filed and filed on paper. Many software companies will allow you to complete your return prior to this date. Please check with your software provider.
- January 31, 2015: By the last day of January, you should have a W-2 wage & tax form from each employer for whom you worked in 2014. If you haven’t received your documents by then, contact the HR or payroll departments to track them down.
- April 15, 2015: Tax Day! This is the last day to file your state and federal 2014 taxes (for most states), and the last day to file for an extension. Just a reminder – your taxes must be paid by this day even if you file an extension to file your return at a later date.
- October 15, 2015: This is the absolute last day to file 2014 taxes, if you were granted an extension (the deadline for the request to be made is April 15).
- April 15, 2018: If you filed your return by April 15, 2015, this is the deadline to file an amendment to your 2014 tax return. If you had filed an extension, the deadline is October 15, 2018.