The materials on this website are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute financial or tax advice.

Do I need a social security number (SSN) to file a return?

All United States residents need either a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file their tax return. If you don’t have a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, you may call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to obtain one. It may take a few weeks after the SSA has received your application for you to be able to e-file your return. The earlier you apply for an SSN or ITIN the sooner you will be able to file your return.